Civic Design | Viola Petrella | Atelier Città |

La sessione in streaming per il corso italiano Civic Design del 22 febbraio 2017,  è dedicata all’interazione con Viola Petrella, fondatrice di Atelier città: nato a Pavia nel 2016 è un laboratorio collettivo per la rigenerazione dello spazio urbano e la creazione di nuovi punti di vista sulla città, la cui vision individua nei cosiddetti vuoti urbani spazi di opportunità, con lo scopo di favorire il dialogo e lo scambio di idee sulla città e modificare le politiche pubbliche esistenti per dare nuova vita a gusci ormai vuoti.

Read More

Toolkit or Canvas?

The topic of our Global Hangout this week was our Civic Design Method. Orsola brought a new approach: a sort of Toolkit or Canvas. She presented a first draft of it. Now everyone is warmly invited to contribute to improve it. See more details on how you can help reading this post on our Discourse platform >

Next global hangout will be next Wednesday at 21h (CEST Central European Time) and will be focused on our “PRINCIPLES”

Have a great weekend!

Summer is coming

After a two weeks break we are back with our weekly global hangouts. We need to restore our rhythm and go ahead with our own definition and organization.

This hangout has been very quick. Has been a sort of warm up for the coming summer.

We discussed about Governance and the coming steps for the CivicWise development with some concern about the need to get as soon as possible the first version of our Principles “chart”. Andrea offered himself as a volunteer to synthesise all the information collected so far and he will generate that document.

Next week the Governance Circle will start again with the weekly sessions, programmed for the Thursday 28th at 13h (CEST Central European Time).

Next global hangout will be next Wednesday at 21h (CEST Central European Time) and will be focused on our “METHOD”.

Coordinating our Communication

This week our topic of discussion was Communication. We had a “different” Global Hangout, as you can see on the recorded video. Following you have the minute of the session.


Global account:

Manager: Domenico and Orsola.


  • Information about the hangouts: before (Orsola), during, after (Domenico).
  • Replying to people.
  • Engagement.
  • Inspiration.

Create a photoshop (or similar open source software) template with image and text for announcing the hangout.

National accounts:

Managers (so far):

Italy: Saverio.

Spain: Daniel.

France: Domenico.

Catalunya: Ana.

Colombia: María.

Netherlands: Carer needed!!!


  • Translating global account into local language.
  • Some extra content.


Twitter lists:



Civic Engagement




Local authorities


Urban Praxis



We will send newsletters only when something important is happening. For updates we will use the blog. We won’t use the newsletter for announcing hangouts or anything similar.

The objective of this is to avoid sending too much information to people.

We will try to send one per month.


Monday: Announcing the hangout and promoting the topic of the week (Daniel).

Thursday: Post-hangout: minutes and discussion (Domenico).

Saturday: Highlights of the week (Orsola):

There will be a discussion on discourse about what are the highlights of the week. The deadline for the discussion on discourse will be Friday, so the carer of communication can do a summary a publish a post in the blog on Saturday. This post will include around 5 bullet points about what has happened during the week.

The all will be shared on social media.

Local physical presentations:

Prepare a text (Domenico) and slides (Pablo) for the presentation.

Brand book:

Jonathan will do the illustrations.

Pablo will do a brand book to show how to use logos, texts, how to compose slides, name cards, images for the blog, etc.


Sharing the blogs-posts (Pablo): Monday, Thursday, Saturday.

Inspiration posts (Domenico and open to anyone).

We will skip the hangout next week for having two weeks to think deeply about the principles and having a Global Hangout on Wednesday the 20th about PRINCIPLES.

Next Global Hangout | 6th of May

The next Global Hangout Meeting will take place on the 6th of May at 21h (CEST Central European Time). The Hangout will last aproximately one hour.

In this meeting we will be discussing our #Communication in general and maybe some more comments about our choice of legal form for Civicwise. You can have your say about this topic prior to the meeting by registering in Discourse (a forum aimed at improving our CoDesign process), and posting your comments here.

If you want to take part on this Hangout please follow us on Google+. You can watch the streaming directly from YouTube. On the right of the YouTube page you can find a chat box. We will use it to debate with all of you.

Help us spread the word promoting the event via Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #CWhangout  We will use this same hashtag to tweet live during our hangout meeting.

Working on our Legal Form

The first good news of this session is that we achieved to stay in an hour. The idea is to continue with that. Any session should not lasts more than an hour.

Legal form

Orsola talked about her CivicWIse presentation at Urbanistas London, which is a Women-led network for growing women’s leadership and empowering collaboration on projects/ideas that make everyday life in cities better for everyone. After her presentation Orsola asked for some advise about our legal form. The majority of the audience suggested to use the CLG form (company limited by guarantee).

During the session we agreed that it’s important to have a form that’s agile, flexible, doesn’t require too much reporting/documents and stressed the difference with a normal for-profit company.The CLG form seems to offer all of these outlines and apparently it is the most used one for organisations similar to ours, social enterprises and non-profits. It allows the non-profit status but allows to generate revenues, employ people and distribute profits.

The idea is to start with this legal form in order to have as soon as possible a legal identity but our aim is still to achieve a legal form that allow any member be even formally part of it, by governance and ownership, so at the end probably a coopertative.

What we need now is to find out if it can operate internationally. Please if you have any thought, doubt or comment about the decision to use the CLG form, please share it on Discourse here.


This week the Governance Circle started its work with its first weekly sessions. We will have one every tuesday at 13:00 to 13:30 (CEST).
This week we talked about Circle Governance and we decided that is essential that in any circle we can have a core team of carers caring about communication, governance and welcoming.
We also talked about the need for a Project Management and Time Tracker tool. Andrea is looking for the “perfect” one. When he found it, the idea is to test it within the governance circle and if is working well let the rest of the community using the same system.
We also decided to rename the Funding circle as Finance circle.


We are still working on our principles. We need to define as soon as possible our Principles. Here you can find the form to contribute.


We are working on our first version of the Magazine. We want to have it by the end of april but we are clearly late. We hope to have it in a couple of week. If you are writing a text, please send it as soon as possible to Domenico which is caring about this first version of the Magazine.


Domenico and Andrea started to think about the organisation of a hackthon in order to go ahead with the digital platform development. So far the idea is to have a first little meeting with no more than 10 people to decide exactly what kind of platform we want. The idea is to shape a first mockup of the platform. Later, maybe in september we organise a proper hackthon to develop the alpha version of it. We thought that could happen in Brussels.


We need more coordination in terms of communication. So we decided to start with weekly meeting on monday at 13:00 to 13:30 (CEST) in order to discuss and coordinate the communication.

Next Global Hangout

During the next hangout our weekly core topic will be the Communication. See you next Wednesday. Remember we are starting one hour late which is at 21:00 and we will finish at 22:00 (CEST – Central European Time).